Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
What a fun, jam-packed weekend it’s been. We are about to go off to our third turkey dinner to spend time with another part of our family. A lot as happened since my last post!
I don’t know if this is what 2015 has had in mind for me all along, but I have stepped way outside my comfort zone. We found some people who were giving away 11 chickens. My husband and I have talked for a while about how nice it would be to raise more of our own food, so we jumped on the opportunity to have some egg-layers around. He fixed up the old chicken coop that is on our property, we purchased the basics for having chickens, and viola! We now have 11 beautiful ladies eating bugs and leftovers and producing. Too cool! And the best part is, they’re not intimidating at all! (Unlike their horse neighbors). Here they are!
And our three helpers the day before the hens arrived:
Speaking of the kids, this time of year, I’m trying really hard to foster more kindness and understanding, but it’s been tough. They have seemed to want to argue more than get along, which gets us all riled up, and with the craziness at work, etc., peace at home has been challenging. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking “how did it get this way at the holidays?”
Between Halloween and Christmas, there are three birthdays in the house, parent-teacher conferences, Thanksgiving celebrations on top of the normal day-to-day hustle and bustle. It’s hard to find chill time, but I think that’s what our family needs – down time to be together and do fun things around the house! I’m trying to think of kid-centered Christmas projects we can do together to be the kids’ gifts to the family. Last year, they made salt-dough ornaments, which they’d like to do again, but I’d like them to do another project. I need to find time to peruse Pinterest!
Needless to say, I don’t want to lose sight of the meaning of this time of year.
Before I forget, here are the 10 items I’m grateful for today:
- Time to sit quietly and meditate (my version is to count my breaths and try like heck to think about NOTHING! It’s not easy.)
- Date night with my main squeeze last night. It’s been a couple of weeks and was much needed! After family time, we dropped the kids off with his parents and all we did was watch a movie, but snuggling and laughing was what we needed.
- The amount of time I’ve gotten to see my family, especially my sister who lives in Massachusetts. There’s never enough time to catch up, but we’ve made lots of progress on that this long weekend!
- Time. to. clean. the. house. without. the. kids. Enough said.
- Mudding/taping of the kitchen project that was started over 5 years ago. Happy birthday to me!
- The gorgeous, amazing, warm weather with sunshine yesterday! 64 degrees in November is unheard of. And doesn’t last long, as today we’re not higher than 33.
- I’m thankful that our cat’s leg is looking better after whatever fight he got into last week. He’s mad that he hasn’t been able to go out, but the swelling is going down.
- Good music! There has been an amazing amount of awesome, soul-moving tunes released this time of year.
- Resources in general – food, convenience, work, cheaper gas, etc.
- Warm heat on a cold day.
Enjoy the day!